Wednesday, January 21, 2009

You Know You Are From Long Island... #59

59. Its rare to get really bad bagels or pizza on Long Island, almost as rare as it is to get good bagels and pizza anywhere else.

(This is from the list from the post of December 15, 2008)

In just had an everything egg bagel this morning. It was fresh and only like you can get on the Island. I have had people who have moved off Long Island tell me about the bagels and pizza they are now getting. Funny that they continue to compare them to the ones they got on the Island.

This is serious stuff! Since I had an 11 year hiatus from living on the Island, i have some experience in this. It is when you come back to visit or in my case to live that you realize what you were missing and that nothing even comes close!

It was at my Aunt Marge's and Uncle Torrey's in Bellmore about a year after we left that we visited. Aunt Marge had some fresh fruit and some hard rolls for breakfast. I buttered up a hard roll and took a bite and let out an "Ah!!!" I forgot. Now I remembered. I hadn't tasted that taste or texture in over a year! It was sublime. Where I moved to I was eating globs of dough that they called rolls. This was a work of art! A delectable delight!

My Uncle John came to visit and we bought two loaves of Italian Bread. We had half of it gone before we got home. He let out the same "Ah!"

We ordered pizza one night for some out of town friends. They were all "Ahing!" It was like a chorus of Ahs!

People come back for a visit and they list Pizza as a must have meal. My niece who is 13 years old recently filled out one of those online e-mail surveys. For her favorite food she listed Aunt Lucy's dumplings and NY Pizza. There is simply nothing like it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes! I grew up on the Island (Port Washington), and later lived in Manhattan ... I've lived in three other states and three other countries since then, and there is absolutely NOTHING like a New York pizza or bagel - and I have to add Italian food to that list! Sometimes when I brag about these, I'll hear, "Hey, have you ever had Chicago's Italian food?!?" or some other nonsense - They just don't have a clue!! Having lived in New York is a double-edged sword - We've been lucky enough to have enjoyed those delights, but when we can't have them, we're left to our delicious memories!